Thursday, September 10, 2009

Paris Day 1 (sort of)





On Thursday night, on our way to Paris (about a 7 hour drive,) we stopped halfway and visited a little town called Trier, which is sort of on the border of Germany, France and Luxembourg. It was a cute little town with a ton of history and lots of old Roman ruins including a very old roman catholic church and a what seemed to be an excavated bath house. We spent the night there and then continued on our way arriving outside of Paris, by Disneyland Friday afternoon. We passed Metz on our way there and thought of grandpa Bill, Andrew's dad who served his mission in France a few years ago:)




We took the train to Paris and first saw the Arc De Triomphe. It was in the middle of the road so we had to cross under and though a sea of people and army guys with guns (something was going on) to get there. It was our first view of the town since we came from the subway and it was so charming! The Arc De Triomphe so huge and inspiring amidst the quaint town with white townhouses, trees and the street lamps exactly what you imagine Paris to be. In the distance we could see the Eiffel tower and thought that walking there would be easiest, since Andrew had to carry Ellie in her stroller up and down stairs to get to the subway- the French were not so big on elevators where you needed them.




So, we then walked from there to the Eiffel Tower. I wasn't sure if I was going to be that impressed with it, after all it's just a whole lot of metal and I've always heard it was smaller than everyone imagined. But I loved it. It's hard to to even explain why it's so cool. It is huge despite the rumors and there is something magical about it. Maybe it's because I've seen to many romance movies, but it was beautiful, surrounded by a river, the scenery and it's own design made it a very romantic place and I can't wait to see it again.





From there we took the train to the Opera house and went out to eat at a good French restaurant. I ate some ratatouille for the first time and tried out all the different sauces they could give me with my steak. It was my kind of meal, I love sauces! Andrew had a really good burger and loved the fresh green beans. For dessert we shared some creme brulee and that was a treat! Ellie actually really liked her food too- which is a big deal these days!




Our first day in Paris was a blast!





2 comments:

momma elms said...

How fun! Ellie looked like she was SO happy! I particularly loved the superman pose. I want to see some EuroDisney pics. Keep 'em comin! Ellie looks so European in her sweatsuit. I love that one!

momma elms said...
This comment has been removed by the author.