Sunday, January 25, 2009

Broken Promise

So, I promised myself I would try really hard not to say anything negative about the German people as a whole. Stereotyping in general bothers me and I know that there are things that I do as an American that most likely bothers others. But for some reason I need to get this off my chest, so here it goes (and this does not apply to all, just most in my 3 months here:) Germans are brutally honest, emphasis on the brutally! If something is wrong you are notified directly no matter where or who you are with and forget about points for effort. 


Most Germans are meticulous, deliberate and expect the same of everyone else. Everything is where it should be and everything has a place. Once again, if something isn't as it should be you are notified instantly.  The dishwasher repair man came over a few days ago to fix a leak. When the leak was fixed he told me that I needed to use salt in the dishwasher because the water is hard. Totally important tip, that I was doing, but at the time it needed more so we put more in. Then he said that I needed to use rinse aid, also something I was doing, thank you. And then he said I was putting my knives in wrong- the blade is supposed to be up. Ok. 10 min later. Are you done?? Thanks. Other offenses that you might get yelled at about:  putting the wrong trash in the wrong container, using too much electricity (we pay for it), running your child into the apartment quick without a hat or gloves,  translating something for church on the German translator on your computer (it doesn't translate right) and drinking something that is too cold. I guess my lazy attitude doesn't cut it over here.

9 comments:

jordan said...

I hear you. Matt worked for a german man last summer and almost lost his mind! Good luck!

I'm excited you're interested in one of my paintings!!

Jamie Onken said...

that's funny. I don't think they would like me very much over there.

Dane, Holly, Devin, and Jarom said...

I agress! They need to relax and take it easy. We should not sweet the small stuff!

Darrell and Amanda said...

if they are going to be that way you should just always remind them what happened the last couple of times they got all full of themselves, and remind them that we kicked there hiney's both times.

Darrell and Amanda said...

if they are going to be that way you should just always remind them what happened the last couple of times they got all full of themselves, and remind them that we kicked there hiney's both times.

Darrell and Amanda said...

if they are going to be that way you should just always remind them what happened the last couple of times they got all full of themselves, and remind them that we kicked there hiney's both times.

Unknown said...

Sounds like the Dutch have some things in common with the Germans. :) I guess being neighbors, they would. One of my pet peeves is at the grocery store when a new lane opens everyone rushes over there and it doesn't matter who was next in line. Nothing too big, but it still bugs me every time it happens. :)

tim said...

f em.

Tracie Scheurer said...

Shawna, I feel for you! I don't know if you are aware, but Erroll's parents are from Germany. The came to the states in the 60's. Erroll's dad isn't so bad, but boy oh boy, is his mother blunt. As a matter of fact she told us this year that she didn't want a Christmas picture of the family because we were all to old and fat...wow, thanks. Fortunately, after 25 years, I tend to take it with a grain of salt...good luck :) Tracie